Information for Prospective On-campus Graduate Students
The Department of Statistics welcomes applications to both the MS and PhD program for fall 2018. All applications should be submitted online using the Departmental Application Website at:
Click the link or go to “View Programs” and look for our posting under “Department of Statistics, Texas A&M University”. Applicants will be asked to create an account. You can check the status of your application at MathPrograms.org after the application is submitted and complete. Applicants can also elect to have email notifications sent when letters of recommendation are uploaded.
Do not use the web site provided by the Texas A&M University Office of Admissions and Records. Only the application materials submitted through MathPrograms.org will be reviewed.
Answer the questions posted on the departmental application web page at MathPrograms.org and submit the following application materials:
- Resume or CV.
- Statement of Purpose. Describe your reasons for pursuing graduate study in statistics and your academic and professional goals in a statement no longer than two pages.
- Transcripts. Unofficial transcripts only. Official transcripts will be required of applicants who are offered admissions to the program.
- TOEFL Scores. Unofficial copy of scores. If you have completed a degree in the U.S. or are from a country where the primary language is English, then the TOEFL is not required. No minimum score is required.
- GRE Scores. Unofficial copy current GRE scores (taken within five years). No GRE subject test is required. We do not accept GMAT scores.
- Letters of Recommendation. Provide names and email addresses of three (3) individuals who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation. The letter writers will be asked to upload their letters individually. (By submitting an application at MathPrograms.org, applicants waive their rights to view all letters of recommendation.)
- Optional: If you have publications on research related to mathematics or statistics, you may submit a copy of your publications as additional materials.
- We request only unofficial copies of the transcripts and GRE/TOEFL scores in the online application in order to expedite the admission process. If an applicant is recommended for admission to the program, the official copies will be requested.
- No application fee is required.
- We cannot provide individual feedback on “probability of admission” in advance of admissions decisions.
The department is committed to providing on-campus students with highly competitive financial support in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, or research assistantships. All applicants will automatically be considered for both admission and financial support. All students admitted to our on-campus PhD program receive financial support. Students in the PhD program have five-year support, provided that satisfactory progress is made towards the degree. We normally do not admit terminal MS students.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit all materials as early as possible. We will start to evaluate applications on December 1 on each admission cycle. The deadline to apply for each cycle is January 10. Admitted students will be notified on a case-by-case basis from January to May.
Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information on the Graduate Admissions Process.