Bani K. Mallick
Susan M. Arseven `75 Chair in Data Science and Computational Statistics
University Distinguished Professor
Office: 401B Blocker Building.
Phone: (979) 845-1275.(office)
FAX: (979) 845-3144.
Statistics Department , Texas
A&M University ,
College Station, TX 77843-3143 USA.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, elected in 2013
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, elected in 2008
- University Distinguished Achievement Award in
Research, Texas A&M University, 2006
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association, elected in 2005
- Member of the International Statistical Institute, elected in 1999
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Noether Award by University of Connecticut for outstanding
performance in graduate study, 1992
- Mahalanobis award by Presidency College for outstanding
under graduate study
Editor: Sankhya, B
Associate Editor: Journal of the American Statistical association, A&C
Associate Editor: SIAM Journal on Uncertainty Quantification
Associate Editor: Journal of
Computation and Graphical Statistics
Associate Editor: Biostatistics
Funded by multiple NSF, NIH, DOE grants
Course I'm Teaching
- Bayesian hierarchical Modeling
- Nonparametric Regression and classification
- Spatio-temporal Modeling
- Machine learning
- Functional Data analysis
- Bayesian nonparametrics
- Petroleum reservoir characterization
- Uncertainty analysis of Computer Model outputs
Selected Publications (from 2011)
- Xun, X., Cao, J., Mallick, B., Carroll, R. and Maity, A. (2013) ``Parameter estimation of partial differential equation model'', To appear, Journal of the American Statistical
- Ryu, D., Liang, F. and Mallick, B. (2013) ``A Dynamically particle filter with radial basis function networks for sea surface temperature modeling'', To appear, Journal of the American Statistical
- Chakraborty, A., Mallick, B., McClareren, R., Kuranz, C. and Drake, P. (2013) ``Spline based emulators for radiative shock experiments with measurement error'', To appear, Journal of the American Statistical
- Konomoi, A, Park, C., Huang, J., Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Liang, H. and Ding, Y., Mallick, B. (2013) ``Bayesian modeling for analyzing the morphology of gold nanoparticles'', To appear Annals of Applied Statistics.
- Hartman, B.$^*$, Talukdar, D. and Mallick, B. (2012) ``Investigating cross-country influence dynamics in new product diffusion process'', Annals of Applied Statistics, 6, 625-651.
- Parzen, M., Ghosh, S., Lipsitz, S., Fitzmaurice, Ibrahim, J. and Mallick, B. (2011) ``A generalized linear mixed model for longitudinal binary data with a marginal logit link function'', Annals of Applied Statistics, 5, 1,449-467.
- Chakraborty, S., Ghosh, M. and Mallick, B. (2012) ``Bayesian Nonlinear Regression for Large $p$ Small $n$ Problems'', Journal of Multivariate Analysis,108, 28-40.
- Bhadra, A. and Mallick, B. (2013) , ``Joint high-dimensional Bayesian variable and covariance selection with an application to eQTL analysis", Biometrics, To appear.
- Ryu, D., Li, E. and Mallick, B. (2011), ``Bayesian nonparametric regression analysis when covariates are subject-specific parameters in a random effect model for longitudinal measurement'', Biometrics, 67, 2, 454-466.
- Konomi, A, Sung, H. and Mallick, B (2013) , ``Adaptive Bayesian nonstationary modeling for large spatial datasets using covariance approximations", JCGS, To appear.
- Xun, X., Mallick, B., Carroll, R. and Kuchment, P. (2011) ``A Bayesian approach to the detection of small low emission sources'', Inverse Problems, 27.
- Park, C., Huang, J.Z., Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Mallick, B.K., Liang, J., Ding, Y. (2011), “A multi-stage, semi-automated procedure for analyzing the morphology of nanoparticles”, IIE Transactions; Special Issue on Nano Manufacturing, .
- Lobach, I., Mallick, B., Carroll, R. (2011) ``Bayesian analysis of case-control data with gene environment interaction and error in measurement of environmental covariates'', Statistics and its interface,4, 305-315.
- Sturino, J., Zorych, I., Mallick, B., Pokusaeva, K., Carroll, R. (2011) ``Statistical Methods for Comparative Phenomics using High-throughput Phenotype Microarrays'', The intrenational journal of Biostatistics, 6.
- McClarren, R., Ryu, D., Drake, P., Bingham, D., Fryxell, B., Mallick, B., Torralva, B. (2011) ``A Physical informed emulator for laser-driven radiation shock simulations'', To appear, Reliability engineering and system safety.
- Stripling, H., Adams, M., McClarren, R. and Mallick, B. (2011) ``The method of manufactured universes for validating quantification methods'',To appear, Reliability engineering and system safety.
- Zhao, K., Valle, D., Popescu, S., Zhang, X. & Mallick, B. (2013) , ``Hyperspectral RemoteSensing of Plant Biochemistry using Bayesian Model Averaging with Variable and Band Selection", Remote sensing and environment, To appear.
for petroleum mapping
Math and Geosciences
The books I have written
Bayesian Analysis of gene expression Data, Wiley.
Bayesian methods for nonlinear classification and
Regression, Wiley, NY.
The books I have edited
- Generalized Linear Models: A Bayesian perspective,
Marcel Dekker inc.,
- Nonlinear Estimation and Classification,
- Large-scale inverse problems and quantification of
uncertainty, Wiley, NY.
- Dey, D., Ghosh, S. and Mallick, B. Bayesian Modeling Issues in Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, Chapman and Hall/CRC .
Former Ph.D Students
D. Denison, (Winner of the Savage award, 1998, as the best Bayesian Thesis) (Lecturer, Imperial College, London, UK)
C. Holmes, graduated (Professor, Oxford University, U.K)
H. M. Kim. Graduated ( Professor, Konkuk Univeresity Korea)
N. Rose (IBM)
Kyeong Eun Lee. Graduated 2003 (Kyungpook University, Korea)
Joon Jin Song. Graduated 2004, ( Associate Professor, Baylor University)
Duchwan Ryu. Graduated 2005 (Assistant Professor, Northern Illinois University )
K Bae. Graduated 2005 (Chief Statistician, Penn Cancer center)
Veera Baldanayak [with Raymond Carroll] (Associate Professor, MD Anderson Cancer Center)
I.S. Chang [with James Calvin] (Glaxco-SmithKline)
S. Ray (Marc)
X.S. Wang (Associate Professor, University of Texas)
D. Gold (Assistant Professor, SUNY Buffalo)
S. Ghosh (Assistant Professaor, Texas Tech)
R. Telluri (Post Doc, MD Anderson)
S. Dhavala (Dow Agroscience)
A. Konomoi[joint with H. Sang] (Assistant Professor, Cincinnati)
B. Hartman (Assistant Professor, University of Connecticut)
A. Mondal (Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve)
X.Xun [Joint with R Carroll] (Novartis)
L. Zhang [Joint with Veera] (Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota)
A. Sarkar [joint with R Carroll] (Post Doc, Duke University)
Former Postdoctorate Fellows
W. Fu ( Associate Professor, Michigan State University)
Sima Chao (Research Scientist, Texas A&M)
Ivan Zorych (Columbia University)
S. Dey (SAS)
Anindya Bhadra (Assistant Professor, Purdue)
Avishek Chakraborty (Assistant Professor, Arkansas)
Supratik Kundu(Assistant Professor, Emory University)
Selected papers in Uncertainty Quantification